Wednesday, December 27, 2017

3.27- The Tuning Slide- Connecting the Dots

Weekly Reflections on Life and Music

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
-Seve Jobs

This week’s quote from last summer’s Trumpet Workshop owes its existence to a 2005 commencement address by Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs. In the first story in the address he talks about the journey of life (our theme this month) as connecting dots. But, he points out,
You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.
We can only see our path of dots looking backward! The resulting summary quote, then, from last summer:
✓ Therefore make good dots
I made some good dots musically this past year.

  • I met Doc!
    • A dot of inspiration and humility
  • I attended the Big Band and Trumpet Workshops at Shell Lake for the third year.
    • Dots of learning and staying open to growth.
  • I have practiced every single day since March 24 (and only missed 7 days before that this year.)
    • Dots of discipline and commitment.
  • I am now regularly hitting an E above the staff in my daily routine and almost getting F.
    • Dots of patience and improving skill
  • I volunteered at the Eau Claire Jazz Festival as a “room host”
    • Dots of seeing the great future of jazz music and instruction.
  • I took several lessons and spent time with some amazing musicians
    • Dots of accepting my need for outside input and support.
  • I have learned how to relax while playing a performance.
    • Dots of acceptance of Self Two doing its work.
  • I published my book, The Tuning Slide, of the first two years of this blog.
    • Dots of sharing what I have learned so others, too, may learn.
  • I continue this weekly blog!
    • Again, dots of discipline and commitment,
As a result of these and other dots, my skill level has increased, my self-confidence has improved, my tone and rhythm have gotten better, and my life continues to be filled with music and more music! These dots also add to the ongoing theme of my life that how I do anything is how I do everything. To be honest there are non-dots from last year. Or perhaps it might be better to say attempted dots that somehow didn’t get connected in this rear-view summary. They represent things for next year (and next week’s post!) But what I know is that because I have made these dots this year, I am moving in a direction that these can be applied to more and more areas of my life.

Dots of:
• Inspiration
• Humility
• Learning and openness to growing
• Patience
• Discipline and commitment
• Volunteering and sharing
• Acceptance
In short it has been a good, and growing year. As I am continually amazed, even old dogs can learn a lot of new tricks! Thanks to all of you who have helped make it the year it was!

What dots did you make last year? How do they connect? How do they lead to your future? See you next week in 2018!

Happy New Year!

No comments: