Tuesday, June 07, 2016

It Happened Last Week

Actually, not a news review but a personal event. For the first time since I moved into my semi-retirement mode I fond myself saying

I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do.
I remember retired people I have known over the years saying that. I always thought it had to do with chores and "To-do Lists." I didn't ever think that time would seem to be going so fast that I had more things I wanted to do than there was time.

Now I get it.

I have several writing projects that I want to work on. There is the music- practicing, rehearsing, and performing. I haven't had a chance to ride mu bike on any trails and take pictures. My every-other-weekend work schedule seems to be more of a chance to gather my breath.

I will admit that some of the problem does lie in a personality quirk that I have never been totally able to overcome: I am not now, and never have been, a natural-born morning person. Most morning people refuse to believe that anyone can't become a morning person. It is real. Even all the years when I did get up early to go to work or whatever, it was not an easy task. No matter the hours of sleep, that alarm was not a welcome thing. Even getting up early does not automatically translate into early to bed.

But when one has to get up in order to get paid, well, you just do it.

Now I'm not paid to get up early. So I do "waste" some otherwise precious time not getting out of bed early enough. If I could just do that I would have more time to get the things done that aren't getting done. I know all the psychological tricks that I can pull on myself to get me out of bed earlier, but they don't work that easily.

Which means, since I seem unable to motivate that earlier time, I will just have to be satisfied with what does- and doesn't get done. Makes sense. But I will keep trying.

No comments: