Stopped into my local coffee shop and the question on the blackboard was "What is on the top of your bucket list?" The funny thing was I almost posted that on Facebook an hour or so earlier. So I started thinking.....
I am in the midst of filling one of those this summer (and beyond, hopefully.) I am devoting significant time to becoming a much better trumpet player. My technique etc. is probably the best it has ever been. (I know that because I can almost play the whole Al Hirt part of the song Java.) I am playing all kinds of music this summer from classical band to brass quintet to jazz-big band. I am wrestling with improvising right now. Our quintet will be playing at a local band festival in three weeks. It is exciting!!
So, what else is there to look forward to? Here goes:
- Playing in the pit orchestra for The Music Man
- Finally getting to the Grand Canyon and perhaps someday
- rafting in the Grand Canyon
- Finishing my first book and
- Getting the book published
- Visiting Cuba
- Visiting Alaska, esp. Denali
- Biking at least 300 km or more of the Camino de Santiago de Compestela in Spain
One year, in one of his flights of fancy he decided to see what would happen if he gave a really true answer to the "long-term goal" question. His answer was simple:
- To get to heaven!