Saturday, February 22, 2014

Some Pickin' and Grinnin"

I got the latest monthly newsletter from Folk Alley the other day. As usual they are the place to find new artists and music in the very broad folk music genre- acoustic, roots, folk, bluegrass, etc. I went surfing the 'net to hear some of the music and came up with two that are examples of the high standards of today's folk music.

Cahalen Morrison & Eli West - On God's Rocky Shore, live via KEXP Seattle.
Roots music, bluegrass with a 21st Century Seattle feel. Their latest CD, 'I'll Swing My Hammer With Both My Hands,' was produced by newgrass pioneer Tim O'Brien.






The Haden Triplets- "Single Girl, Married Girl"
This one is an older video of these talented triplets, daughters of jazz bassist Charlie Haden, reviving that amazing sibling sound harmony. They have a new album - actually their debut. It is a beauty.



The third video today is one that fits my title and just blows me away....

Rodrigo y Gabriela- "Hanuman"
Another oldie in a different mode, Rodrigo y Gabriela, a remarkable duet that has been wowing- and downright leaving audiences with mouths open- for a while. How do they do it? (I know- practice, practice, practice.)

No comments: