Friday, January 17, 2014

Gratitude Thought

In a discussion the other day the question was raised: Talk about a championship-type game you saw in person.

My first thought went back to the World Series in 1980 when the Phillies met Kansas City. I was lucky to be able to go to the first game at Veteran's Stadium that year and see the first ever World Series win by the Phillies (who did go on to win their first ever World Series!) Championship!

Then I went on in my thinking and realized that thanks to my daughter I had the opportunity to see a number of championship games of all different types when she was in school. Our Watertown Gosling HS boys basketball team went to the State Finals- and I was there. I also was there with my daughter at a state volleyball tournament with the Goslings.

Then I remembered the year my daughter's volleyball team played in the Badger State Games. Hey, that was a lot of fun.

Having grown up in the Williamsport, PA, area I of course attended Little League World Championship games a number of times in the mid- and late 60s. I even met ABC broadcaster Jim McCay at one of them.

Finally, it wasn't a championship game, but it was the EIWA (Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association) championship at University of Pennsylvania in 1967. It was my freshman year in college at wrestling powerhouse, Lehigh, and my buddy Gary and I went to Philadelphia for the championship. Which Lehigh won! and Mike Caruso was the champion!

I realized how fortunate I have been in my life to have seen all these wonderful sporting events. They are but a small part of a great life that has been blessed more times than I can even count.

Life truly is a collection of memories that keep growing and building.

No comments: