Saturday, June 08, 2013

Feeling Good Update

Today is one of those days when I am particularly grateful of what has been going on in my life. Two things are at the top of the list.

First is my weight. Back in mid-March some of us at work started a "Biggest Loser" competition. I jumped at the chance, not to win, but to have an impetus to get back on my weight-loss. It was only for 6 weeks and ended at the end of April. (I came in 2nd!!) Well, I have continued on the weight loss program I started then. Now, coming up on 90 days I am down around 16 pounds! And still working at it.

My goal is to lose another 10 pounds by my birthday and then at least another 10 pounds by November. One of the things helping me- and helping well!- is a program called Diet Power. It is a calorie program and then some! It is not yet web-based, but is easy to learn and has been more than just helpful. It keeps me on track. (Disclaimer: the CEO is a high school friend of mine. I did buy my own copy of it. These comments are completely unreimbursed and not solicited!)

The second piece of gratitude came as I got home after a 20 mile bike ride today. Like I said earlier in the week my bike riding continues to be a lot of fun. Today was one of those days when I didn't push myself, I did a few small hills, and just rode for the joy of mindfully riding.

The third has kind of snuck up on me over the past few weeks. Through a number of circumstances it is ending up that I will be playing first trumpet for the concert of our community band in two weeks. That is something that has not happened in 47 years- since I graduated from high school. It has meant some real work on my embouchure- and endurance. But I am getting ready for some new challenges in an old thing.

I put these three together and realized I am feeling good about myself and my efforts over these past 90 days. It is fun to be able to do these things and work back into good health and places I have never been before.

No comments: