Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Key to Life and Power

If we are to become mindful of ourselves and each other, we have to give up some of our defensiveness, let down some of our barriers, become vulnerable. Brené Brown's TED talks have been a huge sensation. Rightly so. She has challenged us to that vulnerability. It is the key to our lives.

Owning our story can be hard
but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it.

Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky
but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on
  • love and
  • belonging and
  • joy—
the experiences that make us the most vulnerable.

Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
― BrenĂ© Brown
In my meditation and mindfulness I must come face to face with that part of me that is vulnerable. I have to look within and see that when I love, I am taking a risk not to be loved back or to be disappointed. When I look for relationships, I find that I may be rejected and not belong where I thought I belong. It is in sharing this basic human condition that I will become fully who I can be.

To be other than mindful or accepting of it is to deny the many possibilities of life.


Vulnerability Video Link
Shame Video Link

No comments: