Monday, September 02, 2019

Tuning Slide 5.5- Making a Commitment

Weekly Reflections on Life and Music

The most crucial ingredient by far for success in music is . . .what happens in the practice room.
—William Westney

It is Labor Day and for some school has begun while for others it will happen tomorrow. One last summer “prepare for fall” post. Naturally it is about the most important and essential ingredient of being a musician- practice. We all have heard that the way to get to Carnegie Hall is to “practice, practice, practice.” That’s where I shortchanged myself. I got to play in Carnegie Hall in college and I didn’t really practice. So I guess I thought I didn’t need to practice. It cost me many years of advanced enjoyment! As fall arrives, make a commitment to yourself AND your music:

Commit to practicing.

In light of this, here’s some thoughts from a post I found at Live About. They had eleven tips for practicing. Here are several of them with my comments in italics.

1) Aim to Practice Everyday
Even the best musicians strive to practice their instrument daily. Make practice a part of your daily routine. Determine when is the best time for you to practice. …If you skip a practice day, don't worry, but do try to make up for the missed practice session by extending your practice time for at least 5 minutes for your next session.
[See closing comments below.]

2) Practice for at least 20 Minutes Daily
Why 20 minutes? It's not too short that you get nothing done and not too long that you end up feeling bored. 20 minutes refers to the lesson proper itself. Devote 5 minutes for warm-ups and 5 minutes for cool downs, just like a regular exercise. That means you must set aside at least 30 minutes a day for practice sessions. …As your interest grows you'll find that your daily practice time will also extend.
[As I have increased my skills and endurance, I have found that it takes 20 minutes to get ready to practice.But I have also found that if I don't have more than 20 minutes at a time, that doesn't mean that I only pratice 20 minutes once a day. Three 20 minutes sessions over a day can be a great goal. I have been amazed at how my endurance has increased with just that "little" bit of practice, daily!]

3) Listen to Your Body
Sometimes musicians forget the importance of being fit not only in mind but also in body. If you're straining to read the music sheet in front of you, do have your eyes checked. If you're having trouble deciphering tones coming from your instrument, consider having an ear exam. If your back hurts every time you sit down to practice, determine if this has something to do with posture. Listen to your body; if it feels something is not quite right, schedule a check-up as soon as possible.
[Many of us may be more likely to take better care of our instrument than we do of ourselves. (See # 6 below). Not a good idea to ignore either.]

4) Make Your Practice Area Comfortable
Is your seat comfortable? Is the room well ventilated? Is there proper lighting? Make sure that your practice area is comfortable and free from distractions so you can concentrate.
[That isn't always possible, of course. The most important is that you can feel comfortable and relaxed. Make your practice room a "familiar and safe place. By the way, this also means having the right equipment and things like pencils, metronome, paper, etc. That helps keep distractions to a minumum. And we love to be distracted! Avoid it.]

5) Remember, It's Not a Race
Keep in mind that each person learns at varying speeds, some are quick learners while others take time to progress. Don't be ashamed if you feel you're progressing slower than your classmates. … The best musicians reached their level of success through determination and patience. It is not about how quickly you learned to play a music piece; it is about playing from your heart.
[Also, don’t get discouraged when you come to a plateau. That does not mean you have reaced the end of your ability- it usually means you have reached a point where your skills and endurance are about to increase! This is an almost foolproof sign for me that I am about to make a jump or even leap in my musicianship. I now get excited- and motivated- when I think I have hit a plateau. Amazing!]

6) Take Care of Your Instrument
Your musical instrument will serve as your friend and partner as you continue your studies. It isn't enough that you're a good player, you must also have an instrument that is of good quality and in top condition. Take care of your instrument; if you feel it's starting to have problems, don't wait and have it checked immediately.
[Okay, I have not always been good at this until I realized that if I don't take of my instrument, I am not taking my craft seriously. Like taking care of my body, I need to watch the care and cleaning of my horn!]

7) It's Okay to Have Fun
We all want to be good at something but for me loving what you do is more important. Never forget that despite all the hardwork you will and are facing, playing a musical instrument is enjoyable. As you improve, your love and enjoyment of music will also grow. You are …on a wondrous journey, have fun!
[Fun! It is definitely okay to have fun, even when practicing. In fact, if you aren't having fun in some way or another, you won't continue. I have to find that practicing is a goal in and of itself that will get me to greater goals in my musical ability.]

I would have never believed I could do what I am able to do today just a few years ago. But that will be in next week's post. A life in and with music is such a gift. My times of daily (!) practice give me the opportunity for daily joy and gifts of grace. Make that commitment! Do it!

No comments: