Thursday, September 13, 2018

Where Have You Been, Pilgrim?

Hi All,

Yes, it's me again. The postmodern Pilgrim is back. When I posted Tuesday for 9/11 that was only the third non-Tuning Slide post since Easter. A bunch of things happened back in March and April, not the least of which was an injury my wife had which took a while to heal and then I went back to work full-time.

In addition I just decided I was more than fed up with the politics going on around me. I stopped writing about it. My wife and I also stopped watching the news way back in January and only watched the local news for the first time last week when we were facing some serious, possibly tornado-producing storms. I also rediscovered last winter the joy of lots of reading. Books galore have been devoured- 60 already this year. (No, the sidebar is not quite up-to-date.) I would sit outside most evenings, enjoying summer, and reading.

Two weeks ago I ended the full-time work schedule and have decided to see what I can do again with this blog. I will probably do some political blogging, and perhaps even find some of the videos, etc. that I used to like posting. It will not be the attempt at daily posting that I did for most of the 15 years of this blog. But I am planning more time at my various "offices" (aka- coffee shops) to write posts, the Tuning Slide, music, and get back to World War II.

That is my focus of attention for the next couple years. We are in the midst of the 75th anniversary of the events of World War II. Five years ago I wrote about my dad's journey with the 10th Armored Division in Europe in the series, Following the 10th Armored. (Link in sidebar.) Since then I have been doing more research, reading, and digging and am about ready to start writing again. The first in this new series will be posted next week. As I will expand on then, I am afraid of losing the history of the 2nd World War. I fear we must remain aware of the great sacrifice we as a nation made at that time and are in danger of having it undone.

I have been overwhelmed by the history I have been reading and I want to connect that to what my Dad faced. It will be for me a search for more connection with him, but also to bring that now-fading story to life.

In short, I am back. Let me know what you are thinking. The pilgrimage continues.

pmPilgrim

No comments: