Sunday, September 03, 2017

Hymns That Move Me (Week 7)

This is the seventh in my series looking at thirty amazing hymns and songs of the Christian faith. I made three lists, one of my top 10 from the Moravian Church's tradition, one of my top 10 of the great classic hymns, and a top 10 of more "Gospel-type" hymns and songs. I am doing it alphabetically to be fair to all the songs. I hope you are both inspired by these words and learn a little about my own denomination's rich musical heritage.

When choosing videos to accompany the hymns I try to choose ones that best capture the spirit of the song as it has been important to me. I try to stick to the traditional and best known tunes in the case where alternate tunes might be used.

Moravian Hymns
Most Holy Lord and God- Notker Balbulus (9th C.)

Notker the Stammerer (Latin: Notcerus Balbulus c. 840 – 912), was a musician, author, poet, and Benedictine monk at the Abbey of Saint Gall in modern Switzerland.The translation into German was by Count Zinzendorf.

Many of you may have never heard this hymn before. According to Hymnary.org both the text and the tune, which is a Moravian update on a 15th C. German hymn, are only found in Moravian hymnals. The chant-style, the simple melody line with little adornment makes it a quiet, deep song for spiritual meditation.

Most Holy Lord and God,
Holy, Almighty God,
Holy and most merciful Savior,
Thou eternal God!
Grant that we may never
Lose the comforts from Thy death
Have mercy, O Lord.

Most Holy Lord and God,
Holy, Almighty God,
Holy and most merciful Savior,
Thou eternal God!
Bless Thy Congregation
Through Thy sufferings, death, and blood.
Have mercy, O Lord.



Great Hymns of the Church
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty- Joachim Neander (1680?); tr. Catherine Winkworth (1863); Tune: Lobe den Herrn

Neander was a German Reformed (Calvinist) Church teacher, theologian and hymn writer whose hymns were quickly adopted by the German Lutherans as well. Translator Catherine Winkworth maybe the best known of translators of German hymns into English. The tune is most likely based on a German folk tune. Together they form one of the truly great hymns of praise in the English language.

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise him, for he is your health and salvation!
Come, all who hear; now to his temple draw near,
join me in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, above all things so wondrously reigning;
sheltering you under his wings, and so gently sustaining!
Have you not seen all that is needful has been
sent by his gracious ordaining?


As with many hymns, the last verse brings the prayer to a spiritual call to greater praise.

Praise to the Lord! O let all that is in me adore him!
All that has life and breath, come now with praises before him.
Let the Amen sound from his people again;
gladly forever adore him.


Gospel-type Hymns and Songs
Just as I Am- Charlotte Elliott (1835)
Charlotte Elliott (1789-1871), as noted in Hymnary.org was a person of "deep spiritual-mindedness which is so prominent in her hymns. Though weak and feeble in body, she possessed a strong imagination, and a well-cultured and intellectual mind. Her love of poetry and music was great, and is reflected in her verse. Her hymns number about 150, a large percentage of which are in common use." The hymn of course, may be mos famous for its use by Billy Graham in his Crusades.  While it can be as syrupy sweet as hymns of this type can get, its power lies in the simple words repeated at the beginning and end of each verse:
Just as I am...
O Lamb of God, I Come.
I still remember the morning in church as we were singing this hymn and I turned to the back of the hymnal to see what it had to say about Elliott. The last five words jumped off the page giving new meaning to her words and her faith. Her short bio ended simply with, "She was a lifelong invalid." Hard to forget!

Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 


No comments: