Friday, April 21, 2017

Lenten Journey- Holy Week Tuesday- Running


If you board the wrong train, 
it is no use running along the corridor 
in the other direction.
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer's response when it was suggested he join the "German Christians" in order to work against them from within.


When I get carried away by an idea or action that I thought was good and appropriate only to later find that I made a mistake, what is it that I should do?

Once on the train, Bonhoeffer reminds us, we can’t get out of a difficult situation simply by trying to stay on the train. Somewhere, somehow, I have to get off the train. I have to make a change in what I’m doing.

All the Lenten preparations are finished now. This is the week I have to come face to face with the reality of my life and my actions. Thursday we Christians will remember Jesus' words at Communion “for forgiveness of sin.” As long as I hide from my involvement in sin and injustice I can’t make a difference. Until I turn around and get off the train, I will be as much a victim as those I want to help.

  • What “train” of denial am I still riding on?
  • How do I fool myself into thinking I am doing the right thing even when I know I’m not doing as well as I think I am?
  • When I come face to face with Jesus’ call to live his life, what will I have to come face to face with in my life that I may not want to admit?
  • What can I do to make the changes that are needed to live “after Easter”?
  • How can I stop running in place and start working the program Jesus is leading me into?
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: