Saturday, April 22, 2017

Lenten Journey- Holy Week Monday- Illumination


Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Love is illumination. Light.

To be loved by God is to allow light to grow within me.

To see, I need light. Blindness keeps the light from getting through.

But blindness can be self-inflicted by judging others and ignoring my own shortcomings.

As I get ready for the life- and world-shattering events of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, I am reminded today to be honest and open - with myself; to refrain from judgement and instead see an honest picture of who I am.

I must allow the light of the Spirit to shine on me and in me so I can see and grow.

Again I ask the question:
  • How do I participate in the evil and injustice I see around me?
And then I must ask:
  • How does that evil and injustice keep me from being the spiritual follower God wants me to be?

Lord, I believe.
Help my unbelief.

No comments: