Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Flag Day Salute

I am well aware that in some ways we Americans turn our flag into an object of worship in ways many nations do not. But we have developed a love for the metaphor it has become. It is a metaphor for us- all of us. It is a metaphor for our history in the 13 stripes; it is a metaphor for our extent and diversity (!) with its 50 stars. I am offended when conservatives take the flag and wrap themselves in it as if they own it.

They don't.

It is the flag of my ancestors:

  • German, Jewish, Scottish, and who knows what else.
  • It is the flag my Great-uncle Jacob died carrying in the Civil War.
  • It is the flag under which my Dad treated wounded or dying comrades in the Battle of the Bulge.
  • It is the flag of the country and we liberals are just as strong about it as conservatives claim to be.

Here is the video I put together last year for Flag Day. In celebration of who we are, I present it to you again. Enjoy.

No comments: