Note: About to be a spiritual curmudgeon.
Just thought I would warn you!
Saw a meme posted on Facebook the other day.
Say AMEN if God has ever answered your prayer.Well, I did neither! Not because God has never answered my prayer or because I don't believe in the power of prayer. Both statements reflect truth in my life.
Hit like if you believe in the power of prayer.
But not the way these memes usually mean it.
God always answers my prayers.
- The answer is "No!" when the prayer is about what I want and I haven't asked what God's will might be.
- The answer is "No!" when I'm being selfish or self-centered.
- The answer is "No!" because God has more important things to do than my petty wishes.
Of course I do. But that power only works when I am keeping my prayers focused on what prayer is really all about.
- Improving my contact with God.
- I do that when the only thing I pray for is the knowledge of God's will for me (and others) and the power to live it in my life.
When prayer "fails" it is usually our selfishness pulling us away from the will and grace of God.