Sunday, May 04, 2014

On the Road Again

Image Source
The “Road to Emmaus” Icon by Sister Marie Paul OSB
of the Mount of Olives Monastery, Jerusalem (1990)


from Luke 24:
Now on that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus,
about seven miles from Jerusalem, ...
While they were talking and discussing,
Jesus himself
came near and went with them,
but their eyes were kept from recognizing him....

When he was at the table with them,
he took bread,
blessed
and broke it,
and gave it to them.
Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight.

They said to each other,
“Were not our hearts burning within us while he was talking to us on the road, while he was opening the scriptures to us?”

Camerado, I give you my hand!
I give you my love more precious than money,
I give you myself before preaching or law;
Will you give me yourself? will you come travel with me?
Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?
--Walt Whitman


So let's take to the road with the life ahead of us.
Let's take to the road where, if we are open and aware,
We will, without a doubt,
Meet the Risen Lord, there to break bread
And have his words nourish us with a
Strange burning of the heart and
A warming of the soul.
--pmp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today, we played the Beatles Long and winding road with this theme...it fit well.....DC