Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Milestones Keep Passing

Sidenote: I just looked and this is post #5300 in the ongoing saga of a wandering postModern Pilgrim.
The road goes on forever, I guess.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Which is a quote from either of the following:

  • J. R. R Tolkien's road songs from The Lord of the Rings, one of which goes:
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
That of course goes along with Tolkien's wandering theme and quote underlying this blog for 10 years and 10 months now:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

  • Or it is also a line from the second verse of the Allman Brothers song, "Midnight Rider":
And I don't own the clothes I'm wearing,
And the road goes on forever,
And I've got one more silver dollar,
But I'm not gonna let 'em catch me, no
Not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider.
All of which seem appropriate.


No comments: