Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 - Last Call

We come to the end of a year. 

For some reason, probably the new Coen Brothers movie, Inside Llewyn Davis, I was led to these words of one of the few songs that Dave Van Ronk wrote himself. 

Seems fitting for the end of the year, one "last call" for 2013.




And so we've had another night
of poetry and poses,
and each man knows he'll be alone
when the sacred gin mill closes.

And so we'll drink the final glass
each to his joy and sorrow
and hope the numbing drink will last
til opening tomorrow.

And when we stumble back again
like paralytic dancers
each knows the question he must ask
and each man knows the answer.

And so we'll drink the final drink
that cuts the brain in sections
where answers do not signify
and there aren't any questions.

I broke my heart the other day.
It will mend again tomorrow.
If I'd been drunk when I was born
I'd be ignorant of sorrow.

And so we'll drink the final toast
that never can be spoken:
Here's to the heart that is wise enough
to know when it's better off broken.
--Dave Van Ronk

No comments: