Saturday, November 02, 2013

Grief

I was aware that I am officially now beginning to grieve the changes that are just 4 weeks away (31 days, actually.) The first real step toward retirement occurs at the end of the work day on December 3. I will no longer be a full-time employee. I knew that this would mean a bunch of changes. But let's be honest, we don't think about those things. We want it to follow a path that has no (or little) disruption. We hope that the time will go by and then one day it will change.

Minimize the pain; deny the loss.

I know it doesn't work that way. Even good and wanted and planned changes will engender grief. We all grieve when things change. They will not be like they used to be.

I have been doing a lot of thinking, reading, talking, planning and networking about the coming changes. I am coming to some good thoughts and foundations for the change. I am excited.

But I am also sad and afraid and somewhat anxious. I would not be normal if I weren't. True, the grief isn't huge and overpowering. But it is there and I have to honor it. It will be the source of energy into the future.

No comments: