Wednesday, May 08, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

Last evening I went to my local Barnes and Noble for a few other reasons. I walk in and discover a writer's reading and signing going on. Not paying a whole lot of attention I then hear her talking about her experience with cancer and being a patient at Mayo Clinic. So I stop and listen, intrigued by her presentation and reading.

I then realize the author is Eve Ensler, award winning writer, activist, and speaker, author of The Vagina Monologues. She has a new book just out, In the Body of the World, which was why she was here and reading. Among other things it tells of her discovery of, surgery for, and recovery from cancer.

Wow, was it great!

She talked about her Mayo Clinic doctor (who was in the audience), and while choking up, described how he treated her as an individual, a real person.

She described how a friend gave her a whole new way to see chemotherapy as a friend- a warrior on her side- which changed her entire approach to her treatment.

She brought down the house in laughter and tears as she talked about the worker who, following another surgery, helped her to get back nto functioning.

I was impressed, and grateful that I just happened to walk in at that time. I will be getting the book.

No comments: