Sunday, August 12, 2012

Two To Think for Today

I'm glad Jesus didn't Tweet:

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. Blessed are t
(The Tweet on the Mount)
--Kim Fabricius
On a more deeply profound turn, consider this from Ben Myers, also at Faith and Theology:
I went to see a doctor and he gave it to me straight. It is my heart, that's what he told me. Apparently I have a condition that makes my heart wear out after the first seven or eight decades of my life. Subtract from that a few years for every unhealthy lifestyle choice I've ever made along the way: smoking, drinking, not jogging, using real butter instead of margarine, too much salt, too much sugar, too much of the wrong sort of fat, not enough of the right sort of fat, too many of the wrong kinds of drugs, not enough of the right kinds, too much sitting in front of the television, not enough rest, not enough vegetables, too many non-organic vegetables with all those nasty carcinogens sprayed all over them, all subtracting year after year after year from an already perilously short life. Taking everything together, I'll be lucky if I get another forty years out of this heart. Less than thirty if my grandfathers' lousy tickers are anything to go by. Bloody genes, can't live with them, can't live without them.
--Ben Myers, As I Sit Dying
When one comes to terms with what Ben is talking about, and accepts it as a reality to be lived with, you are at the First Step.

Much is possible after that point; more than you ever imagined.

No comments: