Thursday, August 02, 2012

Passing a Landmark

Or perhaps we should call it a milestone.

Yesterday I passed the 1,000 mile mark on my trusty 4 year old Trek 7000 bike.

Here on the right is a picture on the first ride, July 4, 2008. I was in the final preparation for my 60 miles for 60 years birthday ride that year. I had just bought the bike (which wasn't what I rode on the birthday ride. I borrowed my brother's bike out east for that one.)

Now we are four years and 1,000 Trek miles later. Living in Minnesota does kind of limit the riding for many months. As did three surgeries in the last 3 1/2 years. So, 250 miles/year is a good start.

This summer I have started riding the bike to work on many mornings and it is a great way to start the day- and end it. There is nothing like that end of the say ride home to get the stress and worry of the day to dissipate.

At the moment I live only about a mile from work. Come September we will be about 5 miles away. That should be an interesting project to see how I can arrange that by next spring. I would be open to any suggestions since I do have shower facilities at work. But I'm not going to worry about that right now.  I'm just going to enjoy what I have going for me.

Overall I would not have believed 4 years ago how much I would get hooked by cycling. It is a wonderful exercise and personally fulfilling hobby.




And as I have said, there is still the hope of a 300-400 km ride on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain that I keep working toward. Maybe for #65 next year.

No comments: