Sunday, July 29, 2012

Trivial Trivia

Yes, perhaps even more trivial than your average trivia. Thanks to Live Science I know seven things about moths that I didn't know before. At least not in as much depth.  The one I found most intriguing for its sheer scientific triviality was this one:

A male moth can smell a female more than 7 miles away.

Though they lack noses, moths are expert sniffers. They detect odor molecules using their antennae instead of through nostrils. Male giant silkworm moths have elaborate, feather-shaped antennae with hairlike scent receptors that allow them to detect a single molecule of a female moth's sex hormone from 7 miles (11 kilometers) away.
When I shared this with my wife she was quite underwhelmed. "Yeah. So?"

Well I thought it amazingly intriguing.

No comments: