Thursday, August 25, 2011

They Continue to Show Up



It has become standard for me to look out the front window of our apartment each morning to check for the Bald Eagles. There they were again on Tuesday. I suppose if I lived somewhere like that place in Alaska where they are everywhere, it might become a little much to see them. But since I saw my first one in the wild about 22 years ago, they never fail to inspire me.


From Wikipedia:
The Bald Eagle is a sacred bird in some North American cultures, and its feathers, like those of the Golden Eagle, are central to many religious and spiritual customs among Native Americans. Eagles are considered spiritual messengers between gods and humans by some cultures.... The Lakota, for instance, give an eagle feather as a symbol of honor to person who achieves a task. ... The Pawnee considered eagles as symbols of fertility because their nests are built high off the ground and because they fiercely protect their young. The Kwakwaka'wakw scattered eagle down to welcome important guests. The Choctaw explained that the Bald Eagle, who has direct contact with the upper world of the sun, is a symbol of peace.

LeavingGorge Along Pine Creek Trail

I do not find it spiritually insignificant that I grew up in northern Pennsylvania along the Bald Eagle Mountain. Although the Bald Eagle has returned, I never saw any as I was growing up.

No comments: