Monday, July 18, 2011

Now It's Scary...

Herman Cain: Communities have right to ban mosques
A presidential candidate who has the chutzpah to even think this let alone say it is scary. But that is what he said.

Why can communities do this?
Because Islam is a set of laws as well as a religion.
So is Judaism.

And to listen to many fundamentalist Christians, so is Christianity.

Can you imagine the outcry if any candidate would say that a community has the right to ban a church for these kind of reasons?

What about Freedom of Religion is lost in this?

Which brings to mind a quote (emphasis added!):
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.


Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.


Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.


Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
--Pastor Martin Niemoeller
Wiki Link
Frightening may be a better word than scary. Potentially horrific for who we claim to be as Americans.

No comments: