Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hot, Hotter

Every winter people in milder climates than Minnesota look at us like we're crazy. When that temperature dips well below 0 degrees F. southern people (anyone south of Rochester to Madison) shake their heads and wonder how we can do it. Garrison Keillor probably has a better answer than I do, but I usually say- "Well, it's not that bad. You get used to it."

Now the tables are turned. We are in the midst of a southern-style heat wave. All the heat and all the humidity. Every time, absolutely EVERY TIME I have gone from air-conditioning to outside my glasses fog up. Every time. We look at the temperature and the "heat index" and hear the weather service issue "Excessive Heat Warnings."

We are now shaking our heads at those southerners. "How do you stand it?" we say as we shake the sweat from our brows. It's awful, oppressive, and impossible.

To which I am sure the southerners just smile.

And stay inside!

No comments: