Saturday, July 23, 2011

Boy, Do I Have Power!

The other day I was innocently working out at the gym, doing the elliptical routine, listening to music on my iPod. I glanced at the bank of TVs and noticed that on that day in 1967 the song, "Windy" by the Association was #1.

"Hmmm," I thought to myself, "I know "Windy" is somewhere on this iPod. Wouldn't it be neat if it played now?"

Yes, you know what happened within 5 minutes. The totally somewhat random shuffle of 2500 songs on my iPod played "Windy."

As I rocked to the song my mind started to play some games. I have power. All I had to do was think it and it happened. Maybe that's the secret of life- successful and happy life.

Just ask for it and it will be given.

Then I realized I was talking about that "spiritual" [sic] phenomenon known as The Secret. Just imagine what you want and the world will give it to you. That's the promise and hope of life.

But then my mind went to a passage in Huckleberry Finn about the same subject.

Then Miss Watson she took me in the closet and prayed, but nothing come of it. She told me to pray every day, and whatever I asked for I would get it. But it warn't so. I tried it. Once I got a fish-line, but no hooks. It warn't any good to me without hooks. I tried for the hooks three or four times, but somehow I couldn't make it work. By and by, one day, I asked Miss Watson to try for me, but she said I was a fool. She never told me why, and I couldn't make it out no way.

I set down one time back in the woods, and had a long think about it. I says to myself, if a body can get anything they pray for, why don't Deacon Winn get back the money he lost on pork? Why can't the widow get back her silver snuffbox that was stole? Why can't Miss Watson fat up? No, says I to my self, there ain't nothing in it.
So I guess maybe I was a little ahead of myself. There isn't any such secret. Coincidences happen. And maybe, in some mysterious way, thinking can cause things to change. Quantum physics posits many things far stranger than that. But somehow or another I don't think I should invest my fortune in it.

But then, maybe I'll see what happens the next time I'm working out and a song comes on the iPod that was just hinted at on TV. Then if it happens a third time....


No comments: