Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This is Why I Don't Bet on Football

I have been "playing" Earthlink Pro Football Challenge they have through U-Pick-Em. Overall, I am picking about 61% of the games. Three weeks I was over at or near 80%. A couple times I have only missed one of the "early" games.

But my trick is actually none at all. I look at the list and think about how I feel about the possibilities. Sometimes I pick by wishful thinking. (I always choose the Packers!) Sometimes I pick by a little knowledge. No, it is not in general, random. Some thought goes into it.

But this past weekend I realized that it is simply that I sometimes pick the right upsets and sometimes I don't. Miami over Tennessee or Denver over Kansas City?. Nah. Until Sunday. But I got Jacksonville over Houston and Seattle over Arizona.

Which is why I don't bet on the games. Upsets happen. Any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday. (Even Detroit can win once in a while.) You just have to pick the right upsets.

(I don't do Fantasy Football. That takes too much time and work.)

But at least with the Earthlink game I can win something once in a while. So far I have won two Starbucks $5.00 gift cards. Not bad for an amateur.

No comments: