Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Embarassing Moments

They happen. Like, well, you know what happens.

I had one this evening. Innocently going about my business while stopping for a while at my favorite Caribou Coffee. I gave my order and put my computer and bag on the only empty table.

So far, so good.

I went up and got my drink and walked back to my table.

Where I promptly set the drink on the edge of the table from which it fell and splattered three feet in all directions.

Every eye in the full coffee shop turned to look at me. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and move out of the way.

Yes, they did make me a new one.

What can you do, though, when such things happen? I have a hunch that many of us live in dread of such moments. Even the most self-centered of us don't like that kind of attention. We seek to avoid it at all costs. If we want to be noticed, we want it to be for the good things we do, not for the dorky, klutzy things.

As I sat there watching the floor dry where it had been wiped by a helpful employee, I realized that within minutes, if not seconds, most people in the shop had forgotten all about it. They were back in their own worlds, doing their own things, and could care less about that older guy up there working on his computer.

This is actually a good thing. It keeps us from thinking too highly of ourselves. It reminds us that there are billions of people in the world and well over 99.9% of them have no idea that I even exist. And if that doesn't work, go outside on a clear night and look up.

No comments: