Sunday, April 12, 2020

Testing God?

Listening to the "pastors" who have insisted that God will keep them safe in the pandemic- I was struck by how much it sounded like the temptation of Jesus that we always hear way back at the beginning of Lent.

Satan: Go ahead, Jesus, jump from the highest point of the Temple. God will protect you. Isn't that what scriptures say?
Somehow I do not believe that God would want any of us to put ourselves in harm's way in order to test or prove the existence or love of God.
  • Does that mean that I should handle poisonous snakes since God will protect me? 
  • Does that mean if I want to stay warm when I go outside in the cold without a coat that God will keep me warm? 
  • Does that mean I should go stand in the middle of the train tracks convinced that God will stop the train in time since God has promised to protect me?
  • Does that mean that if I give the virus to someone else, I am not responsible if they get sick, since after all God promised?
Jesus: It also says in scripture that we should not test the Lord, our God.
The Coronavirus is that train coming down the tracks. It is the poisonous snake. It is the frigid winter air that can kill you. It may not be as easy to see or hear, but we have been told how to stay safe.

Just do it, okay? God gave us minds and wisdom and knowledge to use, not to set aside.

No comments: