Sunday, September 24, 2017

Hymns That Move Me (Week 10)



This is the tenth in my series looking at thirty amazing hymns and songs of the Christian faith. I made three lists, one of my top 10 from the Moravian Church's tradition, one of my top 10 of the great classic hymns, and a top 10 of more "Gospel-type" hymns and songs. I am doing it alphabetically to be fair to all the songs.

When choosing videos to accompany the hymns I try to choose ones that best capture the spirit of the song as it has been important to me. I try to stick to the traditional and best known tunes in the case where alternate tunes might be used.
                             
Moravian Hymns
O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing- Charles Wesley (1739)

I know this is not a "Moravian" hymn, as such. The Wesley brothers were, of course the founders of the Methodist Church in England. But I like to think that if it hadn't been for the Moravians the Methodists might never come into being. Since I am a Moravian, I have two stories since we have a difficult time discussing theological subjects without a story.

First, with excerpts from an article from Christianity Today's web site on "The Moravians and John Wesley", a couple events leading to his conversion at Aldersgate in 1738.:
On Sunday, January 25, 1736, John Wesley is on board a ship bound for America and observes the Moravians in the midst of life-threatening storms. He writes in his journal,
“I had long before observed the great seriousness of their behaviour. Of their humility they had given a continual proof, by performing those servile offices for the other passengers, which none of the English would undertake; for which they desired, and would receive no pay…”
He goes on:
"In the midst of the psalm wherewith their service began, the sea broke over, split the main-sail in pieces, covered the ship, and poured in between the decks, as if the great deep had already swallowed us up. A terrible screaming began among the English. The Germans calmly sung on. I asked one of them afterwards, 'Was you not afraid?' He answered, 'I thank God, no.' I asked, 'But were not your women and children afraid?' He replied, mildly, 'No; our women and children are not afraid to die.'"
Second, as a follow up to this encounter, the Wesley's sought out the Moravians when they returned to England. A little more than two years later, prior to his conversion and in the midst of one of his own crises of faith he went to see his brother at Oxford. Moravian Peter Boehler was with him. Again from Wesley's journal:
Immediately it struck into my mind, “Leave off preaching. How can you preach to others, who have not faith yourself?” I asked Boehler, whether he thought I should leave it off or not.

He answered “By no means.” I asked, “But what can I preach?”

He said, “Preach faith till you have it; and then, because you have it, you will preach faith.”
Not long after that the Wesleys had their conversions and the Methodist Church was born. A year later, in 1739 for the first anniversary of his conversion, Charles Wesley, the great hymn writer put together a long hymn (18 verses!) to celebrate. Several of the verses of that hymn became this amazing hymn. Wesley took the title phrase of this text from that same Peter Boehler who said to Wesley, "If I had a thousand tongues, I would praise Christ with them all."

So, while it isn't a Moravian hymn, it certainly captures who the Moravians were- and are. As a singing people, the idea of using a thousand tongues to sing praise God would not have been out of place.

O for a thousand tongues to sing
my great Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of his grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
assist me to proclaim,
to spread thro' all the earth abroad
the honors of your name.

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
that bids our sorrows cease,
'tis music in the sinner's ears,
'tis life and health and peace.

He breaks the power of cancelled sin,
he sets the prisoner free;
his blood can make the foulest clean;
his blood availed for me.


The final benediction and doxology verse sums it up.

To God all glory, praise, and love
be now and ever given
by saints below and saints above,
the Church in earth and heaven.




Great Hymns of the Church
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross- Isaac Watts (1707)

Again in England, this time in the early part of the 18th Century, the greatest single English hymn writer, Isaac Watts, revolutionized worship forever. Wikipedia, referencing scholars of hymnody says:
Watts led [English hymnody into new areas] by including new poetry for "original songs of Christian experience" to be used in worship. The older tradition was based on the poetry of the Bible, notably the Psalms.... Watts was not the first Protestant to promote the singing of hymns; however, his prolific hymn writing helped usher in a new era of English worship as many other poets followed in his path. -Link
It is hard to say which of Watts's hymns may be the greatest. This one would certainly be at the top for many of us. It is the summation of the Christian message in timeless poetry. What else can I say?

When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of glory died,
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast
save in the death of Christ, my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them through his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown?


As I have noted before, closing verses often contain some of the most powerful words of the whole hymn. This one is no different. I can never sing it without being humbled by how profound it is with an amazing simplicity of thought and word.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were a present far too small.
Love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.




Gospel-type Hymns and Songs
Will the Circle Be Unbroken- Original by Ada Habershon (1907)

Ada Ruth Habershon (1861-1918) was an English Christian hymnist, who was in the circle of several great preachers of her era including Charles Spurgeon and Dwight L. Moody. She was asked at one point to write some hymns for a preaching series being held in England, eventually sending the preacher over 200 songs. This one has entered popular and spiritual culture and become a classic.

Her original song's chorus has been adapted and brought into a couple of songs including the famous Carter Family song, "Daddy Sang Bass." Wikipedia also reports:
A reworked version of the song, intended as a funeral hymn, was written by A. P. Carter and released in 1935 by the Carter Family. The Carter version, titled "Can the Circle be Unbroken", uses the same music and the same verse structure but with different verse lyrics and a modified chorus. That version has often been recorded as "Will the Circle be Unbroken", including the 1972 performance by Mother Maybelle Carter and ensemble on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album of the same title. -Link
The song is most often covered in country, bluegrass, and Gospel music, but you can find versions in almost any popular music genre. (I love to play it in jazz-style trumpet!) In 1998, the popular Carter Family version was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

As great as any of the others and filled with hope and good news!

I was standing by the window
On one cold and cloudy day
And I saw the hearse come rolling
For to carry my mother away

Chorus: Can the circle be unbroken
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home a-waiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky

Lord, I told the undertaker
Undertaker, please drive slow
For this body you are hauling Lord
I hate to see her go

Chorus
I followed close behind her
Tried to hold up and be brave
But I could not hide my sorrow
When they laid her in the grave

Chorus
Went back home
Lord, my home was lonesome
Miss my mother she was gone
All my brothers, sisters crying
What a home so sad and lone

Chorus: Can the circle be unbroken
Bye and bye, Lord, bye and bye
There's a better home a-waiting
In the sky, Lord, in the sky
 
 
We sang the songs of childhood 
Songs of faith that made us strong 
Ones that Mother Maybelle taught us 
Hear the angels sing along.
******************************
 There is one more post left in this series of thirty (plus two) hymns. Next week I will talk about the two Moravian hymns that are our Moravian Anthems and stand in a class all their own. After that I will do another series for Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas and Epiphany of hymns for those seasons. I know a number of you have enjoyed this series. I hope these hymns have moved you- and even discovered some new ones to bless your personal worship!

No comments: