Friday, July 22, 2016

Your Guess Is As Good As Mine

I have absolutely no idea why Donald Trump would use the Rolling Stones song, You Can't Always Get What You Want as the closing of his epically long acceptance speech last night. He has used it other times, I gather, but it doesn't make sense. At least to me.

Might it be thumbing his nose at the Cruz people?

Nyah, nyah- you didn't get what you want
Might it be to pick up on anger the way only the Rolling Stones could? Here's one of the verses that might explain that:
But I went down to the demonstration
To get your fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a fifty-amp fuse"
It might just be because he is of the generation that would have rocked to that song in 1969 when he was 23.
It has a good beat. I can dance to it. I'll give it an 80.
Or, and this is a little more subtle, which speaks against it, but he may be saying:
You think you want something else, but if you vote for me you will find that I am what you need.
That fits the chorus sung over and over with a magical and hypnotic beat.
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need
It may just be the hypnotic beat that will put us all to sleep so he can give us a post-hypnotic suggestion, subliminal ideas, to make sure we go vote for him.

I am at a loss to figure it out.

All I know is that for someone who preaches law and order, his continual use of songs without permission is a good example of his belief that he can do whatever he wants.

Scary!

So I present another song for consideration by The Who:
I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!


And the famous last line:
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

No comments: