I was listening to Bob Dylan while trying to figure out what to write for this day's post. So I looked at this date in music history. (See tomorrow when it comes for why I was listening to Bob Dylan.)
So here were some of the important events on this date.
First a real piece of history for jazz:
- 1922 - The New Orleans Rhythm Kings recorded for the first time.
- 1958 - George Harrison joined the band Quarrymen. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were also members.
- 1966 - The Beatles ended their fourth American tour at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, CA. It turned out that the show was their last public concert.
- 1964 - Roy Orbison's single "Oh, Pretty Woman" was released. The song was Orbison's second #1 hit in the U.S and his third in the U.K.
- 1977 - 3 people were arrested in Memphis after trying to steal Elvis' body. As a result his body was moved to Graceland.
- 1990 - Elton John checked into a rehab center in Chicago, IL, for bulimia, drinking and drugs.
- 1996 - Isaac Hayes, who co-wrote the Stax classic "Soul Man," sent a protest letter to presidential candidate Bob Dole requesting Dole to stop using his song, which his supporters had changed to "I'm A Dole Man."