Saturday, August 15, 2015

Forty-Nine Years Apart

This is the back of the album cover for Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass's 1966 recording, SRO. The picture was taken at the Allentown (PA) Fair the summer of 1966.

I am a tiny dot in that picture; an 18-year old, about-to-be-student at a college across the valley from the fair. It was my first real, big-time concert. I ahd been playing in a Tijuana Brass-style group for a couple years and had been a BIG fan of Alpert since he came out with that first hit- The Lonely Bull. It was a great experience.

Alpert's now 78 and I'm 67. Both of us are still playing trumpet. Without the TJB, has been making music for all these intervening 49 years; and I am still a big fan. He won a Grammy two years ago for his album, Steppin' Out. This October he will be in concert here in Rochester, MN, and I got my tickets this past week. He is playing some nice jazz along with his singer-wife Lani Hall.

Here's the official video of his recording, Chattanooga Choo-Choo from his most recent album




I'm psyched and I still have a couple months to go.

No comments: