Thursday, April 30, 2015

Being Picky

As I have admitted before, I can be quite picky and "snarky" about things that don't make sense to me, especially when those things are posted in a public place for others to see. Sadly, these things are usually put up to be "cute" or "funny" or "attention getting." Many of these, because of my own predilection toward things religious, are found on church outdoor signs.

It happened again last week. Driving along, minding my own business, a church sign told me that

Food for the soul doesn't use any calories.
First reaction: Silly.
Second reaction: There's something wrong with that.

It was a few days later that I realized what I felt was "wrong" about that. I am assuming that the quote was meant to imply that partaking of "food for the soul" was safe for those watching their weight. There are no calories there. So, come on in and have some "food for the soul." [I noted that they did not use "soul food", so I won't either.]

Well, right there was the misquote of the sign- food doesn't USE calories, it provides them!

What the sign was saying is that "food for the soul" uses no calories- it isn't work and takes no energy to accomplish.

Maybe "food for the soul" provides calories for the soul.
Maybe "food for the soul" gives us spiritual energy.
Maybe "food for the soul" offers nutrition we need to grow in our spirit.

But now I'm being as "cutesy" as the sign was.

But, again, the sign worked. It got my attention.

Why am I so gullible?  :)

No comments: