As they say in New Orleans (and southern Alabama)- Laissez les bons temps rouler. (Let the good times roll.) Here we are on the last Sunday of Epiphany (The Transfiguration.) What does that have to do with Mardi Gras? Well, I'm a preacher and I have learned over the years the fine art of the shoe horn. That means I can find a way to make most things fit into what I want to say. So here goes.
- Seven weeks from today is Easter- the Day of Resurrection.
- That is the ultimate in transfiguration- or change.
- It is transformation.
- It is about Jesus.
- But it is also about us.
- Just as Jesus is transformed, so are we.
- We have these next seven weeks to get ready.
- We stand on the mountain with Jesus today.
- We are assured that we will be transformed as well.
- Before we head into the soulful days of Lent, we party.
- We party because we know the end of the story.
- We party to feed the body before we feed the soul.
- Call it Fastnacht.
- Call it Mardi Gras.
- Let the good times roll, they will not be forgotten.
Let the good times roll.