Saturday, January 31, 2015

All The Different Things

Every day has quite a list of "historical" events that have happened on that day. Every now and then I like to skim them for things that tickle my fancy. So I did. Here, then, for the last day of January is a list of just six that I thought were either interesting, funny, or work noting.


~~These first two show the wonder of hypocritical thinking that is at the heart of any country's politics.

1865 - Congress passes 13th Amendment, abolishing slavery in America (121-24)
1876 - The United States orders all Native Americans to move into reservations.
<><><><><><><><><><>
~~This next one just kind of took me to levels of ridiculous or sublime. I guess it makes some sense. Somewhere.
1927 - NL Pres John Heydler rules Rogers Hornsby can't hold stock in the Cardinals and play for the Giants
<><><><><><><><><><>
~~I have been doing work on the late 50s and this one reminded me of the launch of Sputnik just a few months earlier with which the Soviet Union was the first to get a satellite into orbit. We finally made it on Jan 31, almost 4 months later.
1958 - US launches their 1st artificial satellite, Explorer 1
<><><><><><><><><><>
~~The Vietnam war. The US was shocked, caught flat-footed when the Tet offensive began. I remember one of my fellow students in college running around commenting that this was the beginning of the end for the US war in Vietnam. he was right but it took a few more years.
1968 - Viet Cong Tet offensive begins
<><><><><><><><><><>
~~This last one is only 21 years ago. What a difference a decade or two makes.
1994 - Dow Jones hits a record 3,978.36
So remember- today's headline might just be history in the making.

No comments: