Thursday, December 04, 2014

A 50-Year Memory: Another Death for a Teenager

Not to be too dramatic but today is the 50th anniversary of my brother and me becoming orphans. December 4, 1964 our dad died in the Veterans' Hospital in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

As those of you who read this blog on a regular basis know, I have been spending a lot of time digging into memories and history of my family, and at this point, my dad's service in World War II. He had surgery that discovered a brain tumor in 1958. It was not malignant, which meant it wasn't the kind that spread.

But it did grow back, slowly but surely.

He spent the last year of his life in the hospital and quietly died on this date in 1964.

Already our Mom had died in 1962, Dad's brother in 1959, and Mom's father in 1958. We were raised by Dad's sister.

One becomes aware of the uncertainty and fragility of time and life in those events.

No comments: