Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Read These

Again I say:

So many books;
So little time.

But when I read truly remarkable books, I want to share. Two of these recently have been:
  • A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash and
  • The Tie That Binds by Kent Haruf.
The first is in the mountains of western North Carolina, a remarkable story of faith lived and faith betrayed.

The second is on the plains of Colorado with a whole different set of images of land and inflection of language.

They both are books of their landscape while bringing us to perhaps see our own in new and deeper ways.

I find it amazing when the author is able to write in such a way as to allow me to hear the characters in their accent and not mine. They come alive in all their best- and worst.

As a writer, I can only marvel at the word- and world-making ability of these unique writers.

No comments: