This time of the year it seems as if my city becomes "Music City," at least for me. Between now and the end of August (13 weeks) I am participating in 13 different musical performances:
- 3 concerts with the Community Band
- 3 concerts with the Concert Band
- 2 shows with the Big Band
- 2 with groups playing the National Anthem for events
- 1 Donut Days for the Salvation Army
- 1 Parade
- 1 Brass Quintet at church
Add to that the rehearsals for all these performances and I will be playing my horn quite a bit!
This happens every summer, of course- and it is a joy. For a few months I was not able to be part of the one concert band and, when I went back last week, I realized how much I missed it. I walked out of the band room with a renewed energy. Playing music remains one of the great things of my life.
It is a fun time to be an active musician!