Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Loon in the Gulf

Yes, they migrate all the way to the Gulf of Mexico in spite of being the state bird of Minnesota. They may be the most studied of birds, but very little is known about them in their winter habitat in the Gulf. The other day I was walking along the shore near sunset and out of the corner of my eye I saw the very familiar shape and color of the Common Loon. I turned and he dived under as I have seen many times up north.


No, there's no red eye and the speckled back isn't there yet. The banding looks different, but it is still a loon. I followed him along the beach for a good 20 minutes. I took pictures, he ignored me. The food was far too interesting. He would look at me from time to time but then again maybe he was wondering what this northern-bred and raised human-type person was doing here.

I guess neither of us like the winter we have been having.

But it was good to visit with the loon for a while.

I gave up as he kept at his feeding until sunset.

No comments: