Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Different Opening Day

Most of the time we simply refer to the first day of baseball season as Opening Day. Well, my friends at Rails-to-Trails Conservancy have a new opening day.

Sounds like a great idea. It's only two weeks from today... March 30, 2013. My hope is to get to the Douglas Trail near home and one way or another celebrate the Opening Day for Trails.  Wishful thinking would say that a great bike ride would be wonderful.  But the way this season is going it may be on snowshoes.

Yes, I said snowshoes.

Before our vacation to Alabama the snow was little and not much for snowshoes. Since we have returned, March has become the 9th snowiest on record. Close to 20" so far.

Am I whining? Well, yes. A year ago today it was 78 F. and St. Patrick's Day was 81 F. The next week is to be 5 - 10 degrees below our average high of 38 - 40 F.

Anyway, one way or another I plan to get out- if only briefly- for the kick-off of the Trail Season in two weeks. Join me on your own trails and let the people at Rails-to-Trails Conservancy know.

No comments: