Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Not A Highlight Year For the Show

Well, Seth MacFarlane didn't do justice to the movies. In fact, it was nothing short of lame and insulting. Sad, considering the quality of the movies being honored- and the ones that weren't nominated but were excellent as well.

From the opening stupidity of the "boobs" number to the closing "losers" number, the production, jokes, writing, and MacFarlane's general demeanor was, at best, high school-ish, immature, and downright sad. His movie Ted was bad enough to foist on us this year. Too bad we had to put up with him as well.

But enough of that. The sooner forgotten, the better. I don't know if Amy and Tina would have been great, but they would have given class to the proceedings! It was really all about the movies, thankfully-

So to the movies and the awards (plus comments):

BEST PICTURE
"Argo"
Well, I don't know for sure what makes a "best picture" but I am not sure "Argo" was it for this year. The towering majesty of "Lincoln" was unmatched as was the great leap forward in 3D from "Life of Pi." But I will say that "Argo" is in that rare territory. Any film that can make me want to help the plane get off the runway by pulling up on my armrests is a great film.

BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis for "Lincoln"
No contest! Not. Even. Close! Denzel was superb in "Flight" but Daniel Day-Lewis is THE actor of our time!

BEST ACTRESS
Jennifer Lawrence for "Silver Linings Playbook"
Again, not much of a contest. Not really. Her turn as a bi-polar girlfriend to her bi-polar boyfriend- amazing. Yes, the story was somewhat derivative (and as I said the other day, dancing contests may not be an evidence-based, best-practice) but Jennifer Lawrence was at the top of the game.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway for "Les Miserables"
Only Sally Field could have challenged Hathaway for this one. But that incredible close-up singing in "Les Mis" was truly unbeatable.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christoph Waltz for "Django Unchained"
Other than Waltz? Tommy Lee Jones would have had it. But Waltz did it all in "Django."

BEST DIRECTOR
Ang Lee for "Life of Pi"
If it couldn't win Best Picture, this was the real prize for the movie that was impossible to make. Ang Lee is the only director on this list able to out-Spielberg Spielberg. Remarkable work.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
"Argo"
I don't agree with this one. Kushner's work on "Lincoln" was epic and smart and riveting. Yes, "Argo" was good, but it was more in the directing and acting that "Argo" stood out. Kushner was robbed.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
"Django Unchained"
I am amazed that I am becoming a Quentin Tarantino fan. I have to admit that I agree wholeheartedly with this one. Some other great ones here, but Tarantino, "N-word controversy" and all, mastered this one.

* * * * * * * * * * * 



Oh, and about that coupon contest I posted about on Sunday-
I think the buyers were the winners. Leaving "Lincoln" off the list only gave more votes to "Argo" I would bet.
(Yes, I will be able to collect on this one!)

No comments: