Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Quick Thought

After seeing Zero Dark Thirty yesterday (an excellent movie), I had a simple response.

I don't know if the director Kathryn Bigelow is pro- or anti- torture. I don't know how loose and easy she played with the real story and whether torture played a part in finding bin Laden or not. I do know this.

Watching the torture scenes convinced me that torture (and revenge, which is what torture is ultimately about!) turns everyone involved in animals, less-than-human. Everyone, including the "good guys."

Which is the same message I got from Tarantino's Django Unchained, by the way. In spite of all the "good guy" bloodshed of the "bad guys" blood, revenge is awful when carried to its extreme.

I suppose there are those who will disagree with me. But my Christian beliefs have a hard time reconciling with such violence.

No comments: