Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Scandals Never End

While this one doesn't rank up there with Jerry Sandusky or General Petraeus, it is just as sad and devastating. The headline yesterday:

'Sesame Street' actor faces underage sex charges
Not just any Sesame Street actor, but Kevin Clash- Elmo! As a result Clash has been put on leave.

Clash himself has issued a statement that he is a gay man and that he and the accuser did have a relationship, but that it was after the accuser was an adult.

[Note: I recently saw the documentary about Kevin Clash, Being Elmo. 
I highly recommend it and will add pathos to the current story.]

Who know what the real story is. All we know is that we keep discovering that our heroes have clay feet.

And we consistently act surprised.

Maybe we keep hoping beyond hope that someone will remain pure and spotless. Maybe one of our heroes will remain so. Some we feel good when they fall. Others we feel sadness. No matter what, we feel betrayed.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder how others close to me feel when I fail? Makes me wonder if I have done enough inner soul searching to be humble enough to ask my higher power to remove my shortcomings?

My Creator,
I am now willing that you should have all of me,
good and bad.
I pray that you now remove from me
every single defect of character which stands in the way
of my usefulness to you and my fellows.
Grant me strength, as I go out from here,
to do your bidding.
Amen
-p. 76, Alcoholics Anonymous

No comments: