Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Ragged Figure

Mike, at Waving or Drowning found an interview with John Cusack back in December. Here, for me, is a money quote:

Vanity Fair: Who are your heroes in real life?

John Cusack:Let’s go with Jesus. Not the gay-hating, war-making political tool of the right, but the outcast, subversive, supreme adept who preferred the freaks and lepers and despised and doomed to the rich and powerful. The man Garry Wills describes “with the future in his eyes … paradoxically calming and provoking,” and whom Flannery O’Connor saw as “the ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of [one’s] mind.”
You can read the rest of this interview here.

Made me think of a favorite line in Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man:
Though you might hear laughin', spinnin' swingin' madly across the sun
It's not aimed at anyone, it's just escapin' on the run
And but for the sky there are no fences facin'
And if you hear vague traces of skippin' reels of rhyme
To your tambourine in time, it's just a ragged clown behind
I wouldn't pay it any mind, it's just a shadow you're
Seein' that he's chasing.

Hey ! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to
Hey ! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.

Here's a video (Singing starts around 1:45 after he gets an E-harmonica):

No comments: