Sunday, January 08, 2012

Ups and Downs

I have always known from visiting church members following surgery that there are good days and bad days- and they usually follow each other in fairly consistent fashion. Of course in those days, not all that long ago, actually, those were days in the hospital. Not many people were discharged within 2 or 3 days.

Well, my experience with this latest surgery is the same, except now I am going through these changes at home. One day I seem to have enough energy to do just about anything I want. The next, well, the energy can hardly get me to move from one chair to another. Add to that the fact that overall I am feeling fairly decent, and you have a bit of a quandary.

Okay, I'll be honest, there is no quandary. It's back to the old issue of having patience. Simple, everyday acceptance of the way things are that I am not able to change today. Yes, this sounds like a broken record. Any long-time visitors to this blog know my problem. I am not good at just sitting. Yet sometimes that I what needs to be done.

  • It is accepting the fact that 3-4 hours of surgery under general anesthesia is a physical trauma to the system.
  • It is accepting the fact that I have tongue and throat numbness that impacts my swallowing, eating, and speaking.
  • It is accepting the fact that I DO have to wear this hard collar which IS giving me pain in the neck that the surgery didn't.
  • And finally it is simply accepting the fact that no matter what I would like to do, it won't help unless I behave and listen to the Doctor.
Sounds so simple. ut that would appear to me at this moment as the way to healing. Let my body do its healing and don't get in the way. At least I still have the computer to do some surfing, books and movies galore, food, and a comfortable bed. Back to basics.

No comments: