Monday, January 30, 2012

Never Thought of It That Way

Just a quick thought that passed through my head as I was reading The Book Thief the other day. The narrator of this intriguing work is death. And Old Death is not portrayed in the book (at least as far as I've read so far) as this scary, mean, awful, evil devil. That surprised me at first. For some reason or another the image of the "Grim Reaper" or death itself seems to be equated with the Devil.

That makes little sense. It is kind of mind-opening to think of "Death" as just one doing his job, collecting the souls of those who die. "Death" is not the cause of dying; "death" is the result of other factors, the most significant of them being that we are human.

Just thought I would pass that along. It rattled my cage; let it rattle yours.

No comments: