Saturday, December 10, 2011

At Last Someone Has Stood Up...

...or so I was told when a person I know heard about some city council somewhere (in Texas, I believe) who said they were not going to give in and remove a Nativity Scene from a public place. “These anti-Christian people need to know the will of the majority. The minority shouldn’t be allowed to push the majority around," he said in about that way.

Thus goes Round-

Whatever of the supposed War on Christmas. We poor Christians are really being persecuted.

Needless to say I don’t agree with the sentiment. First, I don’t believe there is a war on Christmas.

Nor do I believe it is meant to be anti-Christian. If it is “anti” anything it is “anti” religious “domination” of non-religious. Yes, I think some of the controversy is caused by people going over-the-top from the secular side. But the response from the “-ism” side is just as over the top.

Let me stand up and be heard, then.

I would love to see a Menorah in the public square since Judaism is as American as Christianity. Not the Ten Commandments. That is something else. But a Menorah- a light of hope for 8 days when all hope seemed futile.



I would love to see some awesome Muslim artwork in the public square, those beautiful mosaics with the words of the Koran since graven images are forbidden. Beauty of The Word of the Creator for all to see.




I would love to see a Buddha in the public square reminding us all that quiet contemplation at this time of the year is more priceless than what MasterCard can give.





I would love to see the Manger Scene in the Public Square. Mary, Joseph, the Sepherds would be right there with them all, in a full and truly American statement of the freedom of religion and its many sides and gifts to our diverse and rich culture. The Baby Jesus, born in a stable and placed in a manger. He is poor and homeless reminding us that the ways of materialistic excess everywhere else in this season is not the way of God.

Yes, that would certainly raise cry of foul from all sides. The secular would be against its seeming support of religion. The strict of any faith would call it too syncretistic or overly “universal”. The self-righteous would challenge putting a ”not-their-religion” together with “their religion.” No one would be happy. Except perhaps God.

I wonder who would be willing to stand up and be seen supporting THAT view of American patriotism?

No comments: