Tuesday, September 06, 2011

A Farewell to Summer

I posted a couple surreal pictures from Target Field a week or so ago. It has been a disappointing season in the Twin Cities. The "Twinkies" of old seem to have returned. It was a year best described by "DL"- disabled list. As of today only 2, yes, 2 Twins batters qualify for batting average with enough plate appearances. TWO- Valencia and Cuddyer.

As far as pitching, only Pavano, Duensing, and Blackburn have enough innings pitched to qualify. Starters have hardly stayed in the game long enough to be credited with the loss.

In short, it has been a disaster of a year.

Then, as September loomed, people moved. Like Delmon Young, to the Tigers and Jim Thome back to the Indians.

Young at 1st base against the Red Sox

Thome swinging away against the Red Sox.

After today's game, there are only 20 games left in a season that we all hoped would be a BIG one. But I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan and a Phillies Phan and a Brewers Fan in the past. Waiting until next year has been a constant state of mind. Hey, I was even a Packer fan in those very lean, pre-Favre/Rodgers years.

I have one more game to go to in a couple weeks. I will celebrate another summer of fun at Target Field with a friend and then put things away by the Hot Stove for the winter.

There is always next year!

So, as we head into these last weeks, I guess I will look to these teams to bring me some more enjoyment:

  • Cleveland Indians- just for Jim Thome's sake. It would be nice for the guy, but I don't think it will happen.
  • Milwaukee Brewers- My overall second team and #1 NL team at this point. What a great season they are having and would look even better in a World Series. (A Super Bowl and the World Series in the same year? Not a bad idea, Wisconsin.) I lean to the Brew Crew since they have never won a Series as the Brewers and were only in one in 1982. Before that- the Braves in 1957- gave Milwaukee their only World Series Championship.
  • Philadelphia Phillies- Most likely to get into and win the Series.  But the Phillies would make my October look good, too.

Oh, and of course,

Go, Pack, Go.

Which is Thursday evening right after Mr. President.

No comments: