Sunday, September 18, 2011

A 50-Year Memory: A Death in the Jungle

September 18 – UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld dies in an air crash en route to Katanga, Congo.

A remarkable and deeply spiritual man who was the second Secretary-General of the UN. He had a deep sense of the mystery of life and the mystical openings before him. Here are four of his more famous quotes:

  • God does not die on the day when we cease to believe in a personal deity, but we die on the day when our lives cease to be illumined by the steady radiance, renewed daily, of a wonder, the source of which is beyond all reason. 
  • I am the vessel. The draft is God's. And God is the thirsty one.
  • The longest journey is the journey inwards. Of him who has chosen his destiny, Who has started upon his quest for the source of his being.
  • I don't know Who, or what, put the question, I don't know when it was put. I don't even remember answering. But at some moment I did answer Yes to Someone, or Something,and from that hour I was certain that existence is meaningful and that, therefore, my life, in self-surrender, had a goal.”

No comments: